Islam underpins everything we do here at North Road Academy, and it’s no different for our Centre for Exceptional Children. We have Quran Lessons taught with Tajweed, and Arabic is taught as a Modern Foreign Language from Year 1.
The curriculum for Key Stage 1 and 2 includes the following subjects: English & Communication, Maths, Science, Design Technology, ICT, Humanities, Art & Design, Religious Education, Physical Education, PHSE, Quran, Arabic and Islamic Studies
Our overall curriculum throughout the school is relevant, balanced and broad and aims to provide opportunities for all students to learn and achieve. It also promotes students’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development and prepares all students for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of life.
At the Centre for Exceptional Children, our additional goals are as follows:
- To provide a curriculum framework in which students are happy, confident and secure
- To promote high expectations and challenge students to achieve
- To provide a personalised approach linked to the students’ individual needs and the development of key skills
- To provide students with the necessary skills for the best possible quality of life.
- To enrich the curriculum with a wide range and variety of school and community based learning experience
- To formally recognise achievement
These aims inform the development of our curriculum plans, provide focus for the work of the school and establish an essential reference point when reviewing curriculum provision.
For further information on the North Road Centre for Exceptional Children’s Curriculum, please click below.